Reunion 2011: Photos of a Record-Breaking Weekend

Posted June 9th, 2011 at 2:45 pm.

The Bryn Mawr College Alumnae Association welcomed a record 1,128 guests to campus May 27-29. Graduating classes of years ending in the digits 1 and 6 – the oldest from the Class of 1941 and the youngest from the Class of 2006 — were joined by 223 GOLD (graduates of the last decade) alumnae to mark the end of the College’s 125th-anniversary year with a program that honored Bryn Mawr’s past and informed alumnae/i about curricular innovations and other steps the College is taking to pursue a bold vision of the future.  See the slideshow, above, for a pictorial sample of the weekend.

Highlights of Reunion 2011 included an exhibition of treasures from the College’s Collections, tours of other local treasures such as the Barnes Foundation and the American Philosophical Society, and a visit to West Philadelphia to see a mural that the College created in partnership with the city’s Mural Arts Program to celebrate the College’s 125th year.  Panels of alumnae addressed the environment and women’s empowerment in the context of globalization, and faculty members participated in a discussion of their research abroad.

On Saturday night, the campus was illuminated with thousands of luminaries and giant replicas of the owl lanterns Bryn Mawr students receive as first-year students for the “Illumination” event, a dance party that was enlivened this year by the pan-Latin rhythms of Sol y Canto, a celebrated ensemble led by Rosi Amador, a member of the Class of 1981 who celebrated her 30th reunion with her classmates.

The weekend culminated with the traditional Parade of Classes and the annual meeting of the Alumnae Association. During the gathering, Theresa Kim ’01 was honored with the Association’s Young Alumnae Service Award, Susan Messina ’86 received the Distinguished Alumnae Service Award, and Johanna Alderfer Harris ’51 accepted the Lifetime of Service Award.

As of a tally on June 8, Reunion classes had raised $1,144,049 for the 2011 Annual Fund. This is an increase of over $400,000 from what these classes collectively gave last year and accounts for about 22 percent of overall Annual Fund dollars raised.

A few salient facts about Reunion giving:

  • The Class of 1956 established the 1956 Endowed Scholarship Fund.
  • The Class of 1971 established an endowed internship in honor of Karen Tidmarsh’71, longtime dean of the undergraduate college, now the director of academic advancement initiatives.
  • The Class of 1986 had more donors than any other class, with 144 members giving to the Annual Fund.
  • The Class of 1961 was presented with the Maisie Hardenbergh Dethier ’43 Award for Highest Annual Fund Participation with 79% participation.
  • The Class of 2001 was presented with the Barbara Auchincloss Thacher ’40 Award for Greatest Improvement in Annual Fund Participation Among the Ten Most Recent Classes with an increase in participation from 21% to 32%.

Comments are closed.